A commitment to wellbeing
Staff at Sorrento Primary School are committed to the wellbeing of each student.
Effective pastoral care is achieved through promoting positive school environments that support the physical, social, intellectual and emotional development of every child.
By building quality, supportive relationships and developing comprehensive and inclusive approaches to learning, we are able to ensure that appropriate and effective pastoral care strategies are of value to our entire school community.
Supporting positive school environments
Effective pastoral care at Sorrento Primary School is underpinned by a positive school climate, where:
- pastoral care is shared by and is the responsibility of everyone
- teacher-student relationships are based on trust and mutual respect
- each student’s physical, social, intellectual and emotional development is promoted
- emphasis is placed on our Positive Behaviour Support systems, which prioritise clear communication and explicit teaching around positive behaviours and dealing with adversity, rather than simple punishments
- there are strong partnerships between the school, parents and community
Our School Chaplaincy service
The School Chaplaincy Service complements our existing pastoral care services. Chaplains are responsible for supporting the social and emotional well being of students. Our Chaplain provides support for a range of day to day matters affecting the school community. Chaplains are qualified in pastoral care and youth work. They respect all people, no matter who they are, where they are from or what their personal belief system is.
What does a YouthCARE School Chaplain do?
- Listens compassionately and cares deeply for each and every student
- Provides pastoral care for students, staff and families
- Links the school with local community, support agencies and organisations
- Assists and supports in school events
- Facilitates pastoral support programs and resources
- Supports, mentors and encourages the school community
- Makes referrals to external agencies where necessary
- Encourages and empowers students and the school community for a positive outcome